Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A HORSE IS A HORSE

These petticoat hanging lampshades inspired me months ago and I have been looking for the perfect project to knock-off this shade. I found it! A $13 (including shade) horse lamp for my daughter who loves all things horse.

This is exactly what it looked like when I brought it home. Isabella posing proudly with her now trash, soon to be treasure. I love that she can envision all that I tell her I am planning to do. So, it was off to Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's - we completed the crafting triathlon in under two hours at rush hour...not bad for metro Atlanta.Here we are prepped and ready to paint, she chose white. She also handed me a McDonald's french fry bag (when you have four little ones these are readily available on your garage floor) to cover the light socket and knob. She's a born crafter!Here are the first three layers of our petticoat knock-0ff. I ripped off the cowboy fringe and hot glued eyelet fringe around the shade.Do you like my hat?
Voila! The finished product. The lamp is metal, so the body area can be used as a magnet board. I am working on making some spectacular magnets to finish it off. I am re-doing the second row of eyelet because it is not spaced right.

I covered the horse with a floral scrapbook paper, again the ole' trace, cut and paste (spray adhesive) method. I sanded around the edges for a more finished, shabby look.
In retrospect, I would spray paint the shade white first or cover it with white fabric. The picture below is after I adjusted the second row of eyelet.

Linking to Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm - check out these sites for other AWESOME ideas, tips and transformations.



4 comments:

Mari said...

It turned out so cute, and I love the magnet idea!

Creations By Cindy said...

What a cute idea! Be blessed. Cindy

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Luv you lamp makeover..it's soooo CUTE!

Blessings,
Linda

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a cute lamp and great transformation! Your daughter is adorable. Thanks for your kind note left on my yard sale finds.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin