Friday, August 6, 2010

HOO-HOO-HOOSIER?

This my friends, is what I have been waiting for. On May 1st I bought this piece for $60 for its storage possiblities and have had it at Linda's (painter ex·tra·or·di·naire) house waiting to be painted. I called her last month and told her I was ready and here it is. My beautiful distressed, taupe-ish Hoosier. I wanted it to store all my stamp supplies instead of the plastic drawers that have now overtaken the homeschool room/office. Almost all my stamp stuff fits in here, minus the stamps...I'll have to rethink that one.

The cabinet was cream with blue accents including handles. I think she did a beautiful job, it is beautiful and oh, so deep and full of places to store stuff.



From Wikipedia:

A Hoosier cabinet (also known as a "Hoosier") is a type of cupboard popular in the first decades of the twentieth century. Named after the Hoosier Manufacturing Co. of New Castle, Indiana, they were also made by several other companies, most also located in Indiana.

The typical Hoosier cabinet consists of three parts. The base section usually has one large compartment with a slide-out shelf, and several drawers to one side. Generally it sat on small casters. The top portion is shallower and has several smaller compartments with doors, with one of the larger lower compartments having a roll-top or tambour. The top and the bottom are joined by a pair of metal channels which serve as the guide for a sliding countertop, which usually has a pair of shallow drawers affixed to its underside. The whole assembly, with the counter retracted, is fairly shallow, about 2 feet deep; the width and height are generally about 4 feet and 6 feet respectively.

6 comments:

Momrempel said...

Ohhhh that is awesome! And what a price! Wow! I need something like that for all my scrapbooking/stamping stuff:) Love it, thanks for sharing the idea!

Mari said...

It's beautiful! And it gives you so much storage room.
PS - guess what came in the mail today? The I see you sis cards! I loved your notecard and the tea too. Thanks!

Joy Junktion said...

That's great - Love it!!!

Unknown said...

While living in Texas I had three Hoosier cabinets. The oldest one barely together was in the great room and had copper pieces displayed on it. Some with dried flowers.The one in the eat-in kitchen even had a flour sifter still intact.
Alas, when we left the States to go to Lesotho as missionaries, we gave each one away to a new home. I was so attached to them, I couldn't bear to sell them.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as we did ours.
BTW you got a wonderful deal on yours.

Anonymous said...

Never hear from you any more but God does bring you to mind often. Praying.

Kelly said...

Hello Mari,

I searched and searched for your email address and I couldn't come across it. I wasn't sure how often you check your blog these days but I thought I would give it a shot.

I hope you still remember me. I am Liberty's mommy from Praise in Spite of Pain. I haven't blogged in ages...I just haven't found a good time in the day to keep at it. You know how busy life is with little ones!

Anyway, I was wondering if I could send you a personal email...!?! If you wouldn't mind; could you send me an email and then I will get back to you asap?!? My email is momleavingalegacy@yahoo.com

I pray all is going well with you and your family. Wishing you a very blessed Thanksgiving!

hugs,
Kelly

Blog Widget by LinkWithin