Monday, November 25, 2013

MY FIRST THANKSGIVING


Well, it took 42 years, but I am finally having my first Thanksgiving at my house. I am 25 weeks pregnant, so I will not be making the turkey or ham, but my kids and I are making all the sides and desserts. I am excited about our menu, so I wanted to share some of the great tried and true recipes and some new ones. Click on dish for recipe:

MENU
  1. Spiral Cut Glazed Ham (purchased at Bjs)
  2. Smoked Turkey (purchased from a local meat market)
WHY I LOVE THESE RECIPES
  1. This ham is delicious and easy because it is already cooked and cut.  Leftovers make amazing split pea soup.
  2. This is a new one.  I have always loved smoked turkey, but never tried to do it myself.  When I saw the local meat market was offering these for $30 for a 10-12 pound turkey, I ordered one.
  3. I am Cuban, so I had never eaten collard greens until a few years ago.  I had really good ones and loved them.  This year there were collards in our CSA box, so I had to turn to Youtube to figure out how to make them.  This video is engaging and these really are the best collards ever.  She gives a recipe list at the beginning of video.
  4. I found this recipe through Swagbucks last week.  As my plan indicates I prepared it yesterday and it is by far the BEST macaroni n' cheese I have ever tasted.  Printable recipe here.
  5. I tried mashed potato stuffing years ago and it is the most amazing combination.  I've made it several times and it is always delicious and always a hit.
  6. Tried and true!
  7. I have made this pie once before and let's just say, it disappeared!
  8. My daughter loves pumpkin pie and I have never made one.  This year she will attempt this Paula Deen recipe.
HERE IS THE PLAN:

SUNDAY
  • Prepare macaroni n' cheese, cover with foil, write directions on foil.
  • Prepare green bean casserole, cover with foil, write directions on foil.
  • Put ham in refrigerator to thaw out.

MONDAY
  • Prepare mashed potato stuffing, cover with foil, write directions on sticky note. (this gets cooked with foil on, so I didn't want the fumes from a sharpie wafting in the oven)
  • Prepare bacon and onions for collard greens.

WEDNESDAY
  • Make pies
  • Pick up Turkey

THURSDAY
  • Heat up ham at 11:00 a.m. according to directions (keep warm with foil and towel)
  • Heat up turkey at 11:00 a.m. according to directions (keep warm with foil and towel)
  • Start collards at 10:30, they need a good two hours to cook
  • Noon, heat up remaining casseroles
  • 1:00 Eat
We will be having a quiet Thanksgiving with a friend who is a single mom and her four kids, my husband and I and our four kids.

I am looking forward to a new tradition and hesitant about it at the same time. Thanksgiving was my favorite time of year as a kid, we ALWAYS did the same thing. It was constant and it was sure, there was comfort in that for me. Over the years, I have shared dinner responsiblities with others, I have made and brought dishes, I have made nothing, but I have never been the hostess. I did it this year out of necessity more than anything, which is not always the best motiviation. I have hope that it will be fun, thankFULL and a blessing to all of us.

I have so much to be thankful for; a new husband, four great kids and a little boy on the way, my health, healing, strong faith, great friends, the body of Christ and so much more...

What are you thankful for this year?

1 comment:

Mari said...

Hi! It's so good to hear from you again. :) I'm saving some of these recipes - they sound so good!
New Husband? Congratulations! I'm happy for you about that and the baby. Lots to be thankful for, for sure!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin