Friday, June 7, 2013

SUMMER SCHOOL


My kids attended school for the first time the year before last, so last summer was our first "summer break" and I had no idea what to do. That was not a good plan. So, this summer with a little planning we are off to a great start. The plans I had were quickly thwarted by unforeseen events, but God quickly stepped in.

One of my main goals was to teach the kids to ride bikes, but I had to purchase them first. Not happening! Well, my oldest won a bike at our local bank when she opened an account, seriously? God is amazing.

She came home and I showed her a Youtube video and in a couple of hours she was off with my six year old on her heels demanding to get her training wheels off. Then she was off. My son, who did not have a bike got on his sister's and he was off. Three kids riding bikes within 24 hours and no training or running behind the bike for me. My mother graciously offered to buy a bicycle for my oldest son and I bought one for my youngest. By far this is the "favoritist" pass time. I am looking at getting one too! Why should they have all the fun?

We are also homeschooling a little, mostly to spend time as a family learning and growing. Below is what we are doing:

As a family:
Read Alouds - Various Chapter Books beginning with Stuart Little by E.B. White
Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Grace, Stephen and Sarah Mally
Around the World in 60 days by Thriving Family FREE here
Landmark Cards where we learn famous landmarks, their history and location
Spanish in 10 minutes a day
Say What You Mean by Art of Eloquence

Upcoming 6th grader:
Word Roots by The Critical Thinking Company book B1, explores Latin/Greek word roots
Etymology for Wordbrains like Me by Norm Bomer
Christian Light Reading and Language Arts
Light Keepers: Ten Boys and Girls Who Used Their Talents, 2 Volumes
Beautiful Girlhood (read aloud together)

Upcoming 3rd grader:
Chrisitan Light Reader Doors to Discovery with Light Units

Upcoming 1st grader:
I Wonder Reader with Light Units

Upcoming Pre-Kindergartener:
Chrisitian Light Beginner's Activity Set

Fieldtrips:
Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts The Cat in the Hat
World of Coke Museum (I won tickets)
Many days at the river
Family Bike Rides
Braves game (the kids get free tickets for being on honor roll)
Library Reading Program
Visit to the peach orchard
Blueberry picking

Our fieldtrips and fun will always come first this summer, the schooling is to fill in the gaps.  Since they were homeschooled previously they have a love of learning and are eager to get into their readers and other projects.

Also planned, backyard fires, gardening, church activities and animal care (more on that later).

What are your plans this summer?

1 comment:

Mari said...

I love the bike story! Not only did they all get bikes but all learned to ride? You have some great fun ahead bike riding!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin